Friday, May 8, 2015
Random Facts About Black Diary
It's been nearly a year since Barnabas and I met up at a cafe and started conceptualizing Black Diary. So, I decided to post all the behind-the-scenes random info.
- Cohen's name is taken from Sander Cohen, an antagonist in Bioshock.
- Mikhail's personality is partly based off a character from one of Papina's novels, Ivan Korsakov from Rondo Capriccioso. Ivan's second name is Mikhail.
- Rondo Capriccioso is an actual novel. It was Papina's entry for NaNoWriMo 2010. The completed work can be found here.
- Rosalie was supposed to have a cat doll named Nekotara that kept her sane.
- Nora's personality is based off a real-life person who works at the hotel Barnabas' family runs.
- Winston was supposed to be a sporty girl, but Barnabas said there were too many girl characters so I turned him into a guy. His look is partially inspired by Yosaf from The Grey Garden.
- Tom is named after Papina's animator friend from Japan. They're both introverts.
- The song that plays during funny scenes "I am A Little Seahorse" was an unused track from an animation Papina worked on with a group before. It was supposed to play during a scene when the main character was staring at an aquarium with a seahorse in it.
- Case 2's bad end took a while to finalize. Papina, Barnabas, and Lyndon (Barnabas' brother) gathered together in the living room to brainstorm. One of the endings they thought of was that Colette goes crazy and ends up in the mental hospital.
- It took around 1 month for Papina to finish making all the graphics, dialogue, and music for Case 1.
- Harumi Hatsumi (the idol Mikhail is a fan of) is a parody of Hatsune Miku,
- Ayase's sprite was the first one made, followed by Colette.
- Papina made an unfinished horror version of Black Diary titled Afterschool Nightmare, which is set after the events of Black Diary. Mikhail, Rosalie, Jean, Nora, Peter and Shara stay late in school and tell ghost stories. Rosalie gets possessed by a ghost and starts going psychokiller mode.